The perfect bake to try for Christmas!
Festive Gingerbread Layer Cake
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup golden syrup
2 egg yolks
3 3/4 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tablespoons Gewurzhaus Gingerbread Spice
1 1/2 teaspoons bicarb soda
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
3/4 cup custard powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup brandy or rum
750g cream cheese, softened
200g dark chocolate, broken into pips
1/4 cup cream
Fresh berries for serving
- Preheat oven on CircoTherm 160 °C
- Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the golden syrup and egg yolks and beat until combined. Stir in the sifted dry ingredients and mix well. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Roll the dough into a log shape and cut into 6, press each piece into a disc, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll out one disc of dough between 2 pieces of baking paper to make a 22cm round, trim edges to neaten the place onto a baking paper lined tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through, do not allow to over darken. Cool on the tray on a wire rack. Repeat with the remaining dough to make 6 gingerbread discs.
- Meanwhile combine in a saucepan the sugar, custard powder, cinnamon, milk and brandy then whisk over a medium heat, setting 6 or 7 until the custard boils and thickens. (Custard will be quite thick). Remove from the heat, transfer to a bowl, cover and chill until the custard is cold and firm.
- Beat the cold custard with an electric mixer until smooth then gradually add the cream cheese, beating well between each addition until thick and smooth. Chill.
- Place one gingerbread round onto a serving plate or cake stand. Divide the custard evenly into five. Spread one-fifth thickly over the gingerbread, repeat with remaining gingerbread and custard to make 5 layers then top with the last gingerbread disc. Cover well and chill overnight to allow the gingerbread layers to soften.
- Combine the chocolate and cream in a bowl and stir over gently simmering water /setting 4 or 5 until just melted and smooth, cool slightly then spread over the top of the cake, decorate with fresh berries and icing sugar. Allow the chocolate to firm before slicing.
When covering the custard before chilling press the plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the custard to avoid a skin forming.